GREENSBORO, N.C. – Ferrum College won 2 of 3 doubles matches and claimed three wins in singles for a 5-4 non-conference men’s tennis triumph over Greensboro (North Carolina) College last week at Grimsley High School.
The doubles teams of Jacob Glass (Bassett) and Patrick Marsh and Andrew Meadows and David Bishop were 8-0 winners at position Nos. 2 and 3.
In singles, Glass, Houston Murphy and Meadows were victorious at position Nos. 4, 5 and 6.
The Pride led 4-2 after its wins at No. 1 doubles and Nos. 1, 2 and 3 singles.
The Panthers tied the match at 4, then they broke that deadlock when Meadows bested Greensboro’s Brandon Jones in straight sets, 6-2, 6-1.
“We played well today, but I was very excited to see Andrew get the fifth pointd to clinch the victory,’’ Ferrum head coach Rod Baker said.
FERRUM 5, GREENSBORO 4
1. C. Barragan (GC) d. R. Kern (FC) 6-3, 6-2
2. P. Deutsch (GC) d. P. Marsh (FC) 2-6, 7-6, 11-9
3. W. Van Horn (GC) d. D. Bishop (FC) 2-6, 7-5, 10-4
4. J. Glass (FC) d. L. Murray (GC) 6-0, 6-0
5. H. Murphy (FC) d. N. Coleman (GC) 6-1, 6-3
6. A Meadows (FC) d. B. Jones (GC) 6-2, 6-1
1. Barragan/Deutsch (GC) d. Kern/Murphy (FC) 8-1
2. Glass/Marsh (FC) d. Van Horn/Jones (GC) 8-0
3. Meadows/Bishop (FC) d. Murray/Coleman (GC) 8-0
Ferrum women claim sixth
win of season, 6-3 over Pride
GREENSBORO, N.C. – Former Franklin County prep performer Jordan Thompson was victorious in singles and doubles as Ferrum College’s women’s tennis team defeated Greensboro (North Carolina) College 6-3 in a non-conference women’s tennis match at Grimsley High School.
The Panthers’ victory is their sixth this season and their 16th over the past two campaigns.
Thompson won in straight sets at No. 3 singles and teamed with Alexandria Dixon for an eight-game pro sets trriumph at No. 2 doubles.
Besides Thompson, Mallory Scott (Bassett), Chelsea Zizzi and Hailee Green were straight sets winners for Ferrum at Nos. 4, 5 and 6 singles.
The doubles team of Scott and Zizzi claimed an eight-game pro sets win for the Panthers at Nos. 3 doubles.
“We did a good job in doubles, setting the tone for a solid singles performance out of the ladies,’’ Panthers head coach Rod Baker said.
Ferrum women drop
two ODAC matches
FERRUM – Ferrum College’s women’s tennis team dropped a pair of Old Dominion Athletic Conference matches over the weekend: 5-3 at Emory & Henry College Saturday and 5-0 to Randolph-Macon College Sunday at the Burrows-Skeens Tennis Courts.
In the Emory & Henry match, Mogan Scott (Bassett) and Autum Murray-Burns won an eight-game pro set at No. 1 doubles, 8-6, and Scott and Murray Burns were winners at Nos. 1 and 2 singles.
Randolph-Macon swept doubles play and claimed singles victories at position Nos. 2 and 4 to secure the triumph.
“It was tough to play Sunday’s match after we put it all on the line the day before. Still, I’m very proud of how we played,’’ Ferrumnhead coach Rod Baker said.
FERRUM 6, GREENSBORO 3
1. A. Porcelli (GC) d. A. Murray-Burns (FC) 6-0, 6-0
2. H. Griffen (GC) d. A. Dixon (FC) 6-1, 6-0
3. J. Thompson (FC) M. Moore (GC) 6-0, 6-4
4. M. Scott (FC) d. H. Cashion (GC) 6-0, 6-3
5. C. Zizzi (FC) d. A. Chase (GC) 6-1, 6-2
6. H. Green (FC) d. L. Rodriquez (GC) 6-0, 6-2
1. Porcelli/Moore (GC) d. Murray-Burns/Green (FC) 8-0
2. Dixon/Thompson (FC) d. H. Griffen/Cashion (GC) 8-4
3. Scott/Zizzi (FC) d. Chase/K. Catarinneau (GC) 8-2
EMORY & HENRY 5, FERRUM 3
Morgan Scott (FC) d. K. Meade (E&H) 6-1, 6-3
A. Murray-Burns (FC) d. K. Sheaves (E&H) 1-6, 7-6 (7-4), 1-0 (10-4)
V. Summers (E&H) d. A Dixon (FC) 7-6, (7-4), 6-4
T. Johnston (E&H) d. Mallory Scott (FC) 6-1, 6-0
B. Pierce (E&H) d. C. Zizzi (FC) 6-1, 6-1
Morgan Scott/Murrary-Burns (FC) d. Meade-Sheaves (E&H) 8-6
Summers-Graham (E&H) d. Dixon-J. Thompson (FC) 8-3
Callie Pollard-Johnston (E&H) d. Zizzi-Mallory Scott (FC) 8-3
R-MACON 5, FERRUM 0
S. Yeager (RMC) d. A. Dixon (FC) 6-0, 6-0
D. Hafner (RMC) d. H. Green (FC) 6-0, 6-2
M. Fuqua-Yeager (RMC) d. Morgan Scott-A Dixon (FC) 8-2
L. Aud-Hafner (RMC) d. Mallory Scott-Green (FC) 8-2
A. Wine-B. Bock (RMC) d. A. Philpott-T. Phillips (FC) 8-1