Wednesday, August 13, 2014
By K.A. WAGONER - Staff Writer
A Salem man who was burned when his boat exploded last week at Blackwater Marina in Union Hall has been released from a Roanoke hospital.
Steven McGraw, 64, was injured when his 25-foot cabin cruiser exploded just after it was refueled at the marina on Smith Mountain Lake on Aug. 6 about 6:30 p.m., according to Sgt. Karl Martin with the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries.
McGraw sustained burns and was transported to Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital, Martin said.
"He is a lucky man," Martin said, "very lucky."
The vessel, which was a recent purchase for McGraw, was a total loss.
Working with fire marshals from Franklin and Bedford counties, investigators have determined that the explosion was the result of gasoline fumes being ignited as the boat was started, Martin said. The investigation is continuing.