Friday, January 31, 2014
By K.A. WAGONER - Staff Writer
A chimney fire that spread to the walls of an old two-story farmhouse in Endicott Wednesday night gutted the residence, leaving three adults homeless.
Firefighters endured single-digit temperatures to battle the blaze, which was reported by the resident, Danny Robinette, about 11 p.m., according to Franklin County Public Safety Director Daryl Hatcher.
With snow and ice-covered roads, response time was a little slower than normal, Hatcher said. The fire spread quickly inside the 100-year-old structure. When firefighters arrived, the house was fully involved.
Volunteers from Ferrum, Henry, Callaway and Floyd fire departments had the blaze under control within an hour, Hatcher said, but remained on the scene for five hours before the fire was extinguished.
Also responding to the call at 675 Shooting Creek Road were Ferrum Volunteer Rescue Squad and public safety personnel.
No one was injured, Hatcher said. The Red Cross is assisting the three adult residents and their two dogs with shelter and essentials.
A damage estimate was not available at press time Thursday. The rental property is owned by Marvin Rakes.