|Firefighters work in ‘brutal’ conditions |
Photo by Jeff Reid:
This summer home at 496 Carr’s Point Lane at Smith Mountain Lake was destroyed by fire Friday night. Damage is estimated at $200,000.
Wednesday, January 29, 2014
By K.A. WAGONER - Staff Writer
Frigid temperatures and freezing water hampered efforts to extinguish a blaze that destroyed a Smith Mountain Lake home Friday night.
The fire at 496 Carr's Point Lane near Bernard's Landing was reported by a neighbor about 8:30 p.m., according to Franklin County Public Safety Director Daryl Hatcher.
The homeowners, Kevin and Amy King of Boones Mill, had visited their summer residence earlier in the day to check the pipes and do some routine maintenance because of the cold weather, Hatcher said.
When firefighters arrived at the scene, the two-story structure was fully involved, Hatcher said.
Four fire boats from Smith Mountain Lake Marine Fire Company responded, but the pumps that pull water from the lake kept freezing, Hatcher said. So tankers from numerous fire companies in Franklin and Bedford counties began shuttling water from nearby fire hydrants.
"It was 14 degrees," Hatcher said. "The conditions were brutal."
Within two hours, firefighters had the blaze under control, despite strong winds and frigid temperatures, Hatcher said. Crews spent nearly five hours at the scene.
Damage to the home is estimated at $200,000, Hatcher said. The structure and contents were insured.
A neighbor's house, located about 20 feet away, sustained some damage to a garage and breezeway, Hatcher added.
The fire marshal has not been able to determine the origin of the fire due to the destruction. The investigation is continuing.
In addition to the SML Marine Fire Company, volunteers from Scruggs, Burnt Chimney, Moneta, Glade Hill and Fork Mountain fire departments responded to the call, along with public safety and Scruggs and Red Valley rescue squads.
"We really appreciate everyone working so hard in those brutal conditions," Hatcher added.