Monday, October 28, 2013
By K.A. WAGONER - Staff Writer
No injuries were reported when fire gutted a residence in Boones Mill early Friday morning.
The fire started just after midnight in a wood stove in the basement of the two-story structure at 52 Rocky Top Drive, according to Franklin County Fire Marshal Bennie Russell.
The owners of the house were awakened by a noise and soon discovered heavy flames around the furnace, Russell said. The couple, David and Norma Sutphin, three children and another adult escaped without injury.
The house and all its contents were destroyed, along with three vehicles in the garage, Russell said. The damage is estimated in excess of $300,000. The house was insured.
The Red Cross is assisting the family with meals, clothing and lodging.
When firefighters arrived, the structure was fully involved, Russell said. Volunteers from Boones Mill, Rocky Mount, Burnt Chimney, Glade Hill and Callaway fire departments had the blaze under control in an hour, but it took more than three hours to extinguish the fire.
Franklin County Public Safety, Clearbrook Fire Department and Boones Mill Volunteer Rescue Squad also responded to the 12:02 a.m. call.