Wednesday, October 2, 2013
By K.A. WAGONER - Staff Writer
A fire that was started by a heat lamp caused an estimated $20,000 damage to a business at Smith Mountain Lake Sunday night.
Firefighters were able to contain the fire to one office at 16366 Booker T. Washington Highway, according to Franklin County Fire Marshal Bennie Russell.
The fire at Window Max, beside Bridgewater Plaza, was reported by a motorist who saw smoke coming from the building around 8 p.m., Russell said.
A heat lamp on an office table was left on and ignited the materials on the table, Russell said. The fire quickly spread to the walls of the office.
When firefighters arrived, heavy smoke was billowing from the eaves of the single-story wooden structure, Russell said.
Firefighters extinguished the blaze in a little over 10 minutes, Russell said. Fire and water damage was contained to the office, while the remainder of the building sustained some smoke damage.
Volunteers from Westlake, Glade Hill, Burnt Chimney, Scruggs and the Smith Mountain Marine fire departments responded, along with Scruggs Volunteer Rescue Squad and Franklin County Public Safety.