Wednesday, March 6, 2013
By K.A. WAGONER - Staff Writer
A phone charger started a fire that caused $80,000 damage to a residence off Golden View Road in Glade Hill last week.
The cell phone charger was plugged into a wall outlet while the "business" end was left laying on a sofa, according to Franklin County Fire Marshal Bennie Russell.
The charger generated enough heat to ignite the foam cushions on the sofa in the living room, Russell said.
"If you read the fine print, manufacturers warn consumers that phone chargers can get hot," Russell said. "Always unplug them when they are not in use."
When Janette Crook returned to her residence at 100 Annie May Lane about 12:30 p.m. last Wednesday, she discovered heavy, black smoke when she opened the door and called the fire department, Russell said.
The slow, smoldering fire was extinguished quickly, but smoke damage was extensive, Russell said, making the house uninhabitable.
Damage to the two-story brick structure, which was built in 1949, is estimated at more than $80,000, Russell said. No one was injured.
The house is insured and Crook is staying with family for now, Russell added.
Volunteers from Glade Hill and Burnt Chimney fire departments responded to the call, along with public safety.