|Friction, gasoline and fluids started flash fire in shredder|
Staff Photo by K.A. Wagoner:
No one was injured when a fire started in the bottom of this shredder at Omni Sources Tuesday afternoon.
Friday, November 16, 2012
By K.A. WAGONER - Staff Writer
No one was injured and little damage was done to a scrap metal facility when a shredder caught fire at Omni Sources Tuesday afternoon.
The fire was contained to the shredder, which is located outside the main facility at 700 Commerce Park Road, according to Franklin County Fire Marshal Bennie Russell.
A small fire started in the bottom of the shredder pit, likely caused by friction and engine oil from cars that were shredded, Russell said. Apparently, a little gasoline in the lines of a car being shredded filtered down into the pit and started a flash fire.
That fire heated the hydraulic lines of the machine and hydraulic fluid leaked into the pit, feeding the flames.
Volunteers from Rocky Mount Fire Department quickly extinguished the flames.
Fork Mountain Volunteer Fire Department also responded to the 1 p.m. call, along with the Franklin County Department of Public Safety.