Click for NEWS Click for SPORTS Click for ACCENT Click for COLUMNS Click for OPINION Click for OBITUARIES Click for CALENDAR Click for CLASSIFIEDS Click for ARCHIVES Click for LAKE  
 Wednesday, August 20, 2014
Serving The Land Between the Lakes - Philpott and Smith Mountain
News Search   

 

The Franklin News-Post
P. O. Box 250
310 Main Street, SW
Rocky Mount, Virginia 24151
540-483-5113
Fax: 540-483-8013

The Willard Companies - Click for Website
Fire displaces mother and two children

Friday, November 2, 2012

By K.A. WAGONER - Staff Writer

A woodburning stove placed too close to the walls of a house in Rocky Mount started a fire Tuesday morning that displaced a mother and her two children.

The fire at 275 Railroad Street started in the living room area and spread up the walls to the roof, burning across the entire attic area, according to Franklin County Fire Marshal Bennie Russell.

The wood stove had been installed in the home Monday, Russell said. However, the stove was placed less than 10 inches from the walls. The minimal space should be 30 inches.

The house is owned by David Garcia and was being rented by Maria Sandoval, Russell said.

Damage to the structure is estimated in excess of $75,000, he added. No one was injured.

The fire started about 6 a.m. Tuesday at the residence behind Golden Eagle Vault Services. Rocky Mount, Ferrum and Callaway volunteer fire departments responded to the call, along with Franklin County Rescue and public safety.

Several small chimney fires have also been reported this week, Russell said. He reminded residents to have their chimneys inspected and cleaned by a reputable company before use.

 
Adam Lynch - Click for Website
Harvester Center - Town of Rocky Mount - Click for Website
Billy and Julie Kingery - Click for Website
Weichert - Click for Website
Angie McGhee-Quality Realty - Click for Website
Alpine Photography Studios - Click for Website
A-Co Heating & Cooling - Click for Website
Penny Hodges - Click for Website